Little Bits Of Daily Living

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Relationship Realness

 There's a smile on my my face. Years have passed and he is still the person I love. After so many years we are going strong and I can go on for days on how wonderful our relationship is. Friends constantly say they wish they had a " perfect" relationship like ours. And we stop them right there!
We let them down easy....First of all, there is no relationship that is ever easy. Sometimes we romanticize about the idea of a relationship being "perfect", but there is really no such thing. Relationships are hard work....period! No person is without fault. No relationship is without challenges. For us is learning to compromise, to give something up in order to gain something greater.It takes effort to listen without defending and speaking without offending. Yes we lose our temper, we get worn out, and we know what it is to be overwhelmed. The pressures of life can either drive us apart or drive us closer together. We've had our share of both, and we are learning to do what it takes to  waltz in step, while making sure we're dancing to the right tune. Growing as a couple is learning about eachother and never giving upon us. What I can assure you is that for us failure is not an option and that means that we both know that everyday is an opportunity to become better, to work harder and to give it all we've got.


Sometimes in our discontentment we allow ourselves to think that everyone else is more in love, having more fun, taking more trips, watching more television and eating more chocolate. And maybe they are but at the end we all have our struggles. We all have to work hard and if social media is where you are getting all your assumptions, well.... let me tell you that's the projection we are giving to the world. Nobody  has it easy and I often want to vent about an argument, about my daily struggles or about how I hate washing the dishes and maybe I should. It's the positive side of me that doesn't make it happen, would you like to hear about it?

At the beginning of my rant I said my relationship was wonderful, and yes, it is. Because behind the good and the bad we still want and love eachother and every single day we both  work together  towards greatness.

 

No comments: